Duration: 30 minutes per person (up to 1.5 hrs group of 2/3) – includes self-practice with kit & assessment
If you provide respiratory protective equipment (RPE) it is essential you have documented results of your employees’ face fit test for your organisation to remain legally compliant, fulfilling the requirements laid out in the Health & Safety Executive’s (HSE) guidance notes HSE 282/28 / HSE53.
We are currently providing all Face Fit Train the Tester assessments via Zoom.
We request that YOU purchase your Qualitative Face Fit Kit(s) prior to booking your course at SAMS Ltd (e.g. Alpha Solway, 3M Bitter kit for example). We do not provide these.
What happens next?
Once you have obtained the kit(s), we can make arrangements to provide you with practice resources and an assessment with our trainer. Each assessment for one person takes approximately 30 – 60 minutes. For candidates at the same location we can assess in groups of 2 or 3 (estimated 60 – 75 minutes).
IMPORTANT – 4 ESSENTIAL “Dos” and Don’ts” for the course:
- PRACTICE: Candidate must have practiced with kit and resources received prior to zoom assessment.
- ASSISTANT: You will need a second person available to assist you with the fitting of your mask and using the kit during your assessment.
- FACIAL HAIR: All persons must be CLEAN SHAVEN if having a mask fitted.
- BEFORE THE ASSESSMENT: The person(s) having the mask fitted must NOT smoke, eat or drink (other than water) for 30 minutes prior to the fitting.
This course aims to provide candidates with the skills to conduct practical testing of disposable and half mask RPE. Thus enabling employers to help demonstrate compliance with legislation and guidance contained within HSE282/28 and HSE 53.
- Background and legislation
- Why the need to conduct Face Fit testing
- Types of RPE
- Qualitative Face Fit testing
- Trouble shooting
- Review & Questions
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the legislation applicable to fit testing
- State the different types of testing available and the RPE types used in each
- Be compliant in conducting a face fit test using the qualitative method
On completion of the course you will receive a certificate of attendance.
Why is Face fit testing needed?
Up until February 2002 face fit testing only applied to Asbestos, Nuclear industry and the military, It now applies to all tight fitting RPE. As well as COSHH regulations it is a requirement of CAR (Control of Asbestos Work Regulations) 2012 and also CLAW (control of Lead at work) regulations use of RPE found in IRR (Ionising Radiation Regulations) and CSR (Confined Space Regulations).
- Where RPE is provided at work it must be suitable for use
- Suitable RPE gives effective protection, suitability to the task, the environment and the wearer
- Face Fit test assesses the suitability of a specific face-piece to an individual wearer
- Face Fit testing must be conducted for all tight fitting face-pieces
- legislative compliance
When should face fit testing be conducted?
Face fit test should be conducted during the initial selection of RPE, before an individual wears the respirator in a hazardous environment. If an untested face-piece is already in use then it should be fit tested as soon as possible.
It is good practice to repeat fit testing at regular intervals. This is especially important if RPE is used as the primary means of control e.g. annual testing for workers who are involved in licenced asbestos removal. In any case face fit testing should be repeated if:
- The wearer significantly gains or loses weight, has major dental work or sustains a major facial injury
- If a different model or size of RPE is selected
- Specific company policy
Face Fit Testing is in addition to the requirement to perform a pre-use check.
Take a look at our training schedule for more information about our forthcoming training.
Book your course today
For enquiries or bookings email: firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.
AS ABOVE – please ensure you purchase your qualitative face fit kit before you book your course.
Book your chosen date and we will give you an assessment time on your booking confirmation.
|Face Fit Train the Tester - Zoom (1 person 45 mins/2-3 persons 60-75 mins)|
|January 09, 2024||00:00||6|| |
|January 24, 2024||00:00||8|| |
|February 06, 2024||00:00||8|| |
|February 22, 2024||00:00||8|| |